CvGaming

Server upgrade time(?)

Kebre

Now when we have som money to spend on some new hardware I want all the users to contribute with what kind of upgrade you think we should do.

My plan is some brand new hardware to use for a fully dedicated arma server.

We have the current Server Upgrade money - 340$ 

I have the following RAM (new) laying around home and was thinking to find a motherboard which can use the RAM to save more money for a better cpu(s).

Also some other parts that we don't need to put money on.

I think that if we can find some motherboard that fits our needs the rest of the money will just go for a stronger CPU.

Any thoughts ideas etc please post, link and share so we can get the best possible :)

Share a complete cart with a complete server or if you think we should by a prebuilt server.

(Try to keep it to parts we can buy in stores within Sweden)

I'm sorry to say, but even though the E5-2620 we're currently using is a good CPU, it's not optimal at all for Arma 3

It would be more suited for multitasking jobs

It's way to low clocked. Arma 3 only utilizes 2 cores. 2 Xeon E5-2620 would just mean we had 12 cores, where we only really need 2 or maybe 4 for 2 servers.

For arma 3 something like 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-1660+v2+%40+3.70GHz&id=2120     would be better.  Though its pricey around 1000 dollars. Dunno how much in sweden though

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-1650+v2+%40+3.50GHz&id=2066     would be good aswell.  cheaper but still around 600-700 dollars

If you look at the benchmarks they are pretty decent cpus aswell. But the current 2.0 Ghz, and is imo. to low. 

The one goatis linked had 2x8 cores, well would be cool if we choose to run 8 servers! ^^ the clockspeed is better, but still not perfect.

But just remember, arma 3 needs 2 high clocked cores, more then 2 cores isn't necessary better, especially if they're low clocked.

A strong CPU Goatis. 
But I prefer Xeon myself :D Besides the 2 cpus I linked is also a 2011 cpu

the Xeons got the benefit of being ment for a 24/7 environment, the I7 isn't

The xeon got ECC and other goodies aswell. It might be more expensive, but it sould be more reliable aswell.

Kebre if you dont mind can you like the motherboard we currently have to see if it supports the cpus mentioned in this thread?

http://www.misco.se/Product/Product.aspx?P_ItemId=7244278&hbx_CMP=AFC-02&cm_mmc_o=VybgwgBF5CjCVybgwyAEEwyCjCuwwpCjCzkk
10k swedish krona if this could be effored that would be great

otherwise theres

http://www.misco.se/Product/Product.aspx?P_ItemId=7244147&hbx_CMP=AFC-02&cm_mmc_o=VybgwgBF5CjCVybgwyAEEwyCjCuwwpCjCzkk

Jeppe, I dont think so because the server is located on a SAS disk and that is fast, and the operating system is on a virtual machine so when we do a full restart the disks never shut off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel that is what's bottlenecking the server right now. and I feel the cpu is the heart and brain of a server. I'm not an expert or anything, I've just made this judgement from what hardware other altis life servers have been using and what those threads have said was recommended.

I would rather upgrade 1 thing a 100% and then wait a bit with the rest, then upgrading it all a little bit, and then having to do a new upgrade in a month or 2. 
But again I'm not an expert ^^ Just know we need a high clocked cpu and that one seems to be the best one out there.

But the money seems to be rolling in for hardware upgrades. Even if we spend most of the money for a badass CPU I'm sure there will be enough to upgrade other parts soon :P

I gues its hard to test the server on another setup to see if its actually the setup that is causing the issue.

But as jeppe said, just by looking at the charts it points towards CPU -> HDD bottlenecking in that order unless there is some configs for VM-ware that im not aware of that can cause similar issues.

Maybe a faulty raid-configuration aswell. But here i trust in you kebre! Hence the push for a powerfull CPU :)

It would feel ridiculous to upgrade the CPU with over 1000$ and it would not help..

Also the CPU is not heavy loaded thats is why I am concerned why this would help. IF it needs more Ghz the core should be laying at a much higher load.

BUT

Arma engine is f***d up so what do I know  :bounce:

The reason why I want to "upgrade" other parts is because the server is not fully dedicated since it runs in WMware.

If I can get a motherboard and CPU I can build a dedicated machine.

Again I'm not an expert, and most of my comments I based on what I've read on http://www.altisliferpg.com/.

But on altisliferpg,I also remember reading a thread, in where people stated that the % of the doesn't nessecary have anything to do with the cpu bottlenecking. 
It stated that a cpu with 40% usage (don't remember the exact %) might aswell be bottlenecking the server.
I'm guessing that's something to do with the cpu usage % maybe is the overall load, and arma 3 only uses 2 cores for the most part, and therfor the cpu usage will never hit 100%?  again not sure :P
What is the current CPU running at when 80 pop? I think you mentioned it was running at 90% at one point, and in my eyes thats a bottlenect.

• 4 weeks later...